A Historic Avondale Residence
Add a 1,200 square-foot two-story porch to a historical, waterfront home in Jacksonville, Florida. Redesign and reconstruct 1,500 square feet of the interior living space. Construct a pool house for the home consistent with its original 1920’s style.
Project Executive: David W. Meyers, LEED AP BD+C
Field Manager: Hank Mann, VI
Architect: Richard G. Skinner, III AIA
This beautiful Avondale residence was originally designed in the 1920’s by Marsh and Saxelbye Architects. Our project was to add a two-story porch, family room, historically correct reproduction of an existing solarium and pool house while protecting the home’s structural and stylistic integrity.
With a historical structure to maintain, the construction space for the project was very tight. Careful planning and execution went into every detail of the renovations and additions to the home, including pumping concrete over 350 feet to the rear of the house for pile caps, grade beams and structural floor slabs. From demolition to construction and completion, detailed attention was given to protecting the existing historical architectural elements, despite the challenges of working in limited construction space. Equally as important as protecting these classic features was ensuring that the new structures complemented the original home. Salvage and reuse of the existing exterior brick veneer and meticulous reproduction of existing interior finishes blended our new work with the classic style and quality of the home.
Final touches included a hand forged custom wrought-iron handrail for the wood-framed porch, five reconstructed dormers, and repointing of all existing brick masonry.
• 1,200 square-foot two-story porch
• 400 square-foot wood beam pool house
• Solid heart honduran mahogany impact-resistant windows/doors
• Reconstruction of five third story dormers
• Extensive interior millwork and cabinetry
• Repointing of all existing exterior masonry
• Slate and marble stone floors
• Cast stone paver deck for pool area
• Copper gutters and downspouts
• Exterior hardscaping, landscaping and low-voltage lighting package